While instructional differentiation is expected to occur to address the unique needs of specific students, that instruction shall be derived from a set of curriculum learnings common to all students. There shall be equal access to the curriculum for all students, which shall be delivered in an equitable manner. The curriculum shall be designed and implemented using a standards-based curriculum approach that reflects the best available knowledge of the growth and development of learners, the needs of learners based on the nature of society, state law, and State Board of Education rules.
Purpose and Quality Standards
We enhance teaching and learning.
Access to quality education is needed for us to grow, to develop, and better ourselves as a society. A quality education cultivates the intellect, skill-sets, wellness, and emotional maturity of each student. An equitable, educational opportunity for all students begins with the culture set by a district’s curriculum. Engaged and genuine partnerships between our department, schools, students, parents, the community, and businesses are critical to successful student outcomes.
- We believe the curriculum must be aligned Pre-kindergarten through 12 in order to be effective.
- We believe a curriculum must be a coherent organized set of instructional opportunities that allow for tiered student learning.
- We believe curricula should be culturally relevant, provide experiences and connections with home and community, and maximize students’ learning conditions.
- We believe the curriculum should include components of district-wide, embedded professional development, and support for teachers.
- We believe all students can learn.
- We believe all students can achieve excellence.
- We believe students’ need are diverse and encompass various solutions.
- We believe all students deserve an equitable opportunity to develop their unique capabilities.
- We believe students deserve physically and emotionally safe learning experiences.
Teaching and Learning
- We believe teaching and learning require the inclusion of reading, writing, speaking, listening, numeracy, and digital literacies in all content areas.
- We believe teaching and learning cultivate creative thinking, problem-solving, and the iterative process.
- We believe teaching and learning require authentic experiences in acquiring skills and knowledge and application of what is learned to other contexts.
- We believe teaching and learning require a variety of pedagogical techniques and methodologies to reach all students.
- We believe teaching and learning require active and social collaboration by teachers and students.
- We believe teaching and learning include the daily use of a variety of assessment practices.
The mission of the Round Rock ISD Curriculum Department is to provide an exemplary curriculum which is academically challenging, culturally relevant and in alignment with state standards. In pursuing our mission we are focused on students and grounded in best practices.
Collaboratively participate in our learning community to prepare all students to excel by providing coherent learning experiences aligned to state standards.
- Ensure equity of access to quality learning experiences for all students.
- Reduce gaps and unproductive redundancies in the curriculum.
- Set developmentally appropriate and rigorous learning objectives for all students.
- Provide focus for teachers’ instructional planning.
- Support teachers in offering engaging learning experiences for students.
- Create a framework for the implementation of a creative, and innovative model of instruction that supports student achievement of content and process standards.
- Standards Alignment
- Formative and Summative Assessment
- Digital Learning
- Ensure equal opportunities for all students to learn the curriculum
- Reduce gaps and unproductive redundancies in the curriculum
- Serve as a basis for district curriculum-based assessments
- Focus teacher planning time on instruction